+ Auf Thema antworten
Zeige Ergebnis 1 bis 4 von 4

Thema: The Forgotten 500 - The Story of the Halyard Mission Heroes

GESPERRT

Fragezeichen The Forgotten 500 - The Story of the Halyard Mission Heroes

When I asked author Gregory Freeman what drew him to the story of ‘Operation Halyard’, he didn’t hesitate:

“My interests as an author usually lead me to stories of heroism and sacrifice that went unrecognized for too long, and the story of Operation Halyard fits the bill perfectly. I was drawn to the idea that not only was this an amazing tale of intrigue and bravery, but it had been purposefully hidden from the American people for decades. A dramatic story is one thing; a dramatic story that has been kept secret is even more intriguing. The story of Operation Halyard is one of the last great stories of World War II and it is high time that the American people learn about the heroic sacrifice of Draza Mihailovich and the Serbian people.”

Once on the ground these men were soon found by the Serbian peasantry and it was these strangers who spoke a foreign language on foreign soil who would shield them, soothe their wounds, feed them, house them, and protect them, even at the sacrifice of all that they owned and even their lives. The fallen airmen would soon learn that their benefactors were acting on the orders of General Draza Mihailovich, the Serbian hero, who in the beginning darkest moments of the war, had been heralded as being a legendary warrior for the whole free world, but who, in recent times, had been abandoned by the very democracies to whom he had been so loyal. Though he had been abandoned and left to the wolves, both the Yugoslav communists who were bent on destroying him and everything his organization stood for, and the Germans who continued to view him as their primary enemy in Yugoslavia, Mihailovich, upon learning of the fallen airmen, gave out the order to do whatever necessary to protect them, heal them, and in the ensuing months, evacuate them to safety regardless of the cost to himself. This man, whom the airmen had been told to avoid, would end up being the man who would save them. In cooperation with American OSS personnel, whose struggles and ultimate triumphs are faithfully recorded by Freeman as ‘Operation Halyard’ came to fruition over the course of 1944, General Mihailovich and his forces would prove just how profound ‘doing the right thing no matter what’ is.

“As you probably know already, I am not of Serbian descent and have no personal connection to this story at all. Instead, I was drawn to the opportunity to bring some measure of justice to a hero and local Serbs who risked their lives for my country and who ultimately were betrayed by history. I wrote this book because that wrong should be made right, not just for Mihailovich and the Serbian community, but for the American public as well. After all, we can't say "thank you" if we don't know what they did.”

I highly recommend The Forgotten 500, not just to my American and Serbian friends, but to anyone interested in historical accounts that are not tarnished with propaganda, lies, and political correctness. I also recommend this book to anyone who is inspired by a great story about great people who did great things. Those of us who know the “Halyard” story and its significance will smile with satisfaction. We should, indeed, be pleased. It’s about time.

[Links nur für registrierte Nutzer]

und als dank bombt uns die us regierung obwohl sie genau wusste das wir serben nicht die feinde des westen sind und nie waren!

GESPERRT

Standard AW: The Forgotten 500 - The Story of the Halyard Mission Heroes

food for thought Benutzerbild von houndstooth

Standard AW: The Forgotten 500 - The Story of the Halyard Mission Heroes

An der Story ist nicht's vergessen.

In den Annalen der alliierten Geheimdienste ist viel darueber , allerdings in trockener Sprache, nachzulesen.

Sie stellt lediglich eine kleine Facette einer groesseren Strategie dar : die Bemuehungen von 'Wild Bill' Donovans (Chief COI/OSS )
    .1) Nazis Glauben zu machen , die Alliierten wuerden nach Zentral Europa via den Balkan eindringen
    2) Diese Startegie diente dazu um Wehrmachttruppen vom geplanten Gebiet der Operation Overlord abzu ziehen. Das gelang auch.
    3) Jugoslawischen Partisantruppen jegliche Hilfe zukommen zu lassen. Nachdem es sich kristalliierte , dass Tito das Kommando ueber tausende Guerillatruppen hatte, schwang alliierte Unterstuetzung auf die Seite Titos.
    4) Tito wiederum bereitete der Wehrmacht viel Probleme - was den Plaenen der Alliierten zu Gute kam.

+ Auf Thema antworten

Aktive Benutzer

Aktive Benutzer